Chair: Richard Boothman
Secretary: Gillian Jones
tel. 01729 840 505
Treasurer: Janet Benzie
Why the Cow Logo for the
Why has a cow jumping over the moon been chosen as a logo for the
The answer goes back to the early 1500’s and St Mary's long association with Bolton Priory.
Prior Moone was born in Long Preston and was the last prior at Bolton Priory at the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. He left his personal silver chalice to St Mary's and that is still in use today.
Whilst at Bolton Priory it would appear that Prior Moone had a bit of a dispute with a local farmer that resulted in the well-
The interpretation of the rhyme goes like this:
Hey diddle diddle the cat and the fiddle
A local farmer called Hey swindled Prior Moone and the Catholic faith (referred to irreverently as the cat and the fiddle – Catholica Fide)
The cow jumped over the moon
over the sale of some cows
The little dog laughed to see such fun
The Bolton Priory community laughed at these local antics ( two carved laughing dogs can still be seen on the tower built by Prior Moone at the entrance to the present day church)
And the dish ran away with the spoon.
Hey's daughter wished to get married but could only do so in her local church (the Priory). To get his own back, Prior Moone refused so she (the dish) ran off with her intended (the spoon)!
Rev Rachel / Gill Jones
Before you all Google “the cow jumped over the moon” (44,100 references) -
Some are here:
The Name of the Group shall be the Long Preston Heritage Group
The Group is established for the public benefit in the area of the former historic Parish of Long Preston to:
1. Stimulate public interest in and care for the beauty, history and character of the area, and
2. Encourage the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest.
In furtherance of these objectives the Group may:
1. Hold meetings, lectures and temporary and/or permanent exhibitions.
2. Publish papers, reports and other literature.
3. Acquire the intellectual property rights for all publications produced by the Group.
4. Promote research into subjects directly connected with the objectives of the Group.
5. Make information available to all interested persons.
6. Employ and remunerate any person or persons not being members of the Committee to supervise, organise and carry out work for the Group.
7. Agree the expenditure of the history element of the HLF grant in liaison with St Mary’s PCC.
8. Raise funds and invite and receive contributions from any person or persons whatsoever by way of subscription, donation and otherwise,
9. Acquire, lease or rent any property.
10. Archive and care for any materials, documents and artefacts entrusted to the Group.
11. Do all such other lawful things as are necessary for the attainment of the said objectives.
Membership shall be open to all who are interested in furthering the objectives of the Group. Full membership is available to residents of Long Preston Parish. Non-
Visitors may attend organised events; a fee may be charged.
An Annual General Meeting shall be held in or about October of each year to receive the Committee’s report and audited accounts, to elect Officers and Members of the Committee, to appoint 1 or more auditors and to transact such other business as may from time to time be necessary. A quorum shall consist of 25% of the membership entitled to vote. Proxy voting will be allowed by written request to the Secretary.
Membership fees will be determined at the AGM.
5. HONORARY OFFICERS
The Officers shall consist of Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer all of whom shall be ex-
6. THE COMMITTEE
The Committee shall be responsible for the management and administration of the Group. The Committee shall consist of the Officers and 6 other members. Election to the Committee shall normally be for 3 years. Committee members are eligible for re-
7. APPLICATION OF THE INCOME OF THE LONG PRESTON HERITAGE GROUP
The property and funds of the Group must be used only for promoting the Objects and do not belong to the members of the Group or the Committee.
This Constitution may be amended by a two-
9. DISSOLUTION OF THE LONG PRESTON HERITAGE GROUP
If the Committee, by a simple majority, decide at any time that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Group, it shall call a meeting of all voting members of the Group, for which meeting not less than 21 clear days’ notice (stating the terms of the Resolution to be proposed thereat) shall be given. If such decision shall be confirmed by a two-
27th March 2012